Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Misguided Effort? For Sure Final Thoughts

I do tend to overthink things, but if an unexamined life if not worth living, maybe unexamined acts of supposed goodness are not worth doing.  Case in point.  Remember the scene in the movie Slumdog Millionaire where the children were intentionally disabled and forced to beg for money for the perpetrator?  Were the people that gave money to the poor children helping?  In their case, the children needed help not money.  I know it is an extreme example, but how is it different for us?

I guess I want to make the point that some level of self-reflection is a good thing.  Self-interest is bred into us.  I think we are capable of indulging the self for a long time without much awareness that we are.  I am not making the case for not acting to help, just stopping from time to time to reflect on weather we actually are.   

No comments: